After a rotten run of luck with recent models, the antidote to a lack of enthusiasm for anything with wires attached to it came in the form of Airfix’s recently released Fokker E.II. It’s not really one of my favourite planes, but any new release from Airfix, particularly a WW1 kit is a cause for celebration and I was surprised how much I enjoyed building this.
The fit is superb, and the quality of the moulding excellent, the subtle ribbing and detail along the fuselage being particularly notable. Having spent a good part of my disastrous last build with fiddly bits of photoetch, I was determined to build this pretty much out of the box, but I couldn’t resist adding a photoetch Spandau cooling jacket taken from the spares box, together with a seat, and boss for the propeller hub. Seat straps were made from paper with photoetch buckles, tail skid bungee from cotton, and the kit control column grip drilled out and detailed. Other small items were added from aluminium tube and plastic rod/strip/sheet. One weak spot – I strengthened the port wing by attaching it with a length of brass tube as the joint is very weak.
The kit decals were great, apart from the fact that the four piece fuselage bands didn’t line up very well so I masked and sprayed my own markings (much trickier than I thought!). Tamiya, Mr.Colour and Misterkit acrylic paints were used throughout, and weathered using artists oil paints and Karismacolor pencils. For rigging I used Uschi Van der Rosten’s fantastic elastic rigging material.
I turned this out in just over a week, which for me, fitting it around work is going some, and says a lot for the enjoyment it provided and how easy it was to put together. Airfix are definitely going through another golden age and long may it continue.